Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What Can I Do?

Today, yet another attorney gave me advice that was akin to, "if you can do anything else at all, don't go into law."

Funny, but I even briefly considered trying to nail down my pre-med preqs.  Yeah, then I surveyed the undergrad GPAs for medical school.  Seems like you can pull down something in the range of about a 3.7, or you can just forget it. 

It wasn't always that high.  Heck, 20 years ago, it was probably more like 3.3 or 3.4.  Now, on the one hand, I feel pretty good that newly minted doctors are a pretty smart bunch of people.  On the other hand, if one of the problems in this country is that we don't have enough primary care physicians, why in the world are we not opening up more medical schools?

The demand is there.  Clearly, there are applicants who would like to go, but can't.  I mean, yeah, that might mean that guys with a mere 3.6 will get the chance to become doctors. 

It just cracks me up that every single liberal arts college in the known universe is adding an MBA program.  A new law school probably gets accredited every 3 or 4 years, but an area where there's a clear societal need for more schools and graduates, and a huge supply of applicants who want to do it and there just aren't enough medical schools to give us our primary care physicians.

Lord help us when the baby boomers start retiring, too.  Oh well.

An acquaintance from college who is maybe a year or two younger than me is going back to school to get his PharmD.  Good move.

Law?  I guess it's as brutal now as ever.  Big supply.  Not much demand. 

I'm interested in it.  Have been for most of my life.  I think I'd be good at it.  Is that enough, though?  I'd like to think so, but I'm watching as one calculated risk blows up in my face (my small business).  I really can't take any more broadside hits at my age.  Soon, I'll be at the "too old to ever recover" phase and have to retire to costa rica because its the only place I can live on my social security check.

Funny, but my original concept was to use the law as a compliment to owning a small business.  Now, it may soon have to be a substitute. 

It's just not much fun to be navigating the waters in this recession.  Everything is crappy and there are no jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment