Tuesday, March 29, 2011

News from Case! And halfway through Torts E&E

Got the notification from Case.  They thanked me for applying and told me I should probably go to someplace that isn't there.  In a way, this is good.  It was sort of pointless for me to apply because I simply can't swing it, logistics-wise.  I just wanted to know if I could get in.  I can't.

So, I can go to Toledo without any sort of angst that I should be going somewhere else.  Lately, I've been thinking I should just forget an LSAT re-test.  I'm in where I need to go and I should focus on that. 

If I pay sticker at Toledo, what I just need to do is get high enough grades that maybe I'll get one of the continuing student scholarships.  Supposedly, they can award a scholarship to the top 10 students if any of them didn't get an initial scholarship.  (Though they are very cagey on whether they will, or what the scholarship would be.)

Finished half the Torts E&E and I can see what's going on, here.  There really is a lot of detail to master.  Like a lot of things, it isn't so much that one class is all that bad, but when you have to take 5 of them at a pop, that's a biggo mountain of stuff to master.  I should have the book finished this week or maybe next.

Not sure if this is a bad sign of what, but it's making me take a good, hard look at what else I could do, other than law school.

3 years is a chunk of time.  One more year, and I could have an electrical engineering degree.  Trouble is, I'd have to take every single moment of all 4 years since engineers don't take the same classes that other college students take.  Darned ridiculous academic programs that make students take classes related to their major and produces employable graduates.

The one that makes the most sense would be to go back and knock out the classes I need to become a CPA.  I'm not that far off, really. I think I only need like 9 credit hours or so.  If I could pick up a master's of tax or something, that might be the way to go.  We're talking one year instead of three.

Though I will say:  judging by the E&E, studying the law is a lot more fun than studying EE or Accounting.  Which is probably why so many people want to go to law school and so few people want to go back and get an engineering or accounting degree.

Anyway, just got back from my grandfather's funeral.  So, I need to clear my head and think long and hard about this whole thing.  Right now, I'm full speed ahead, but I feel like I should make one last gut-check to see if this is something I really want to commit to.

Added:

After thinking more about it, this is going to be hard enough to do without adding 2 hours of driving (round trip) to the mix.  So, I'm not going to re-take the LSAT.  I'll return the prep book to Amazon.  All re-taking would do for me is perhaps give me a scholarship to a school I wouldn't attend, anyway. 

Also, it dawned on me that the torts E&E is probably not that bad as far as these things go.  I mean, torts are sorta interesting.  The basic idea being that Joe-Bob does X to Mary-Sue.  Can Mary-Sue take him to court and get some money? 

This is also the part of the law I want to practice.  (I'm not giving much weight to that, though.  I have no idea what areas of the law will be interesting to me after I take a few classes.)

I just ordered the Civil Procedure E&E.  I will probably be done with Torts in the next week or two.  Civ Pro is probably a lot more boring and might be a better indicator of what law school is really like.

Plus, although I finished another chapter in Torts, I really wasn't that motivated today.  That was probably a good taste of what Law School will be like.  I'll be trying to stay current with a lot of material, and most days, I would bet, I really won't want to.

In any event, it would probably take me a few weeks to prep for an LSAT re-test.  That's time better spent going through LEEWS or E&Es or "Getting to Maybe". 

So much of my fate will be tied up in my 1L performance.  Plus, although I want to go into practice for myself, if I had a chance at a good job, I'd certainly take it the way my business is currently going.  Job search really begins the middle of 2L year.  So, 1L looms pretty large.

No comments:

Post a Comment